Re: There are something difference between MATLAB and Octave.

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: There are something difference between MATLAB and Octave.
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:10:27 -0700

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 05:21:08 -0700, Dildar Sk wrote:
> I used to think Octave to be clone of MATLAB but that is
> not totally true because there are some Octave's function which doing much
> better than MATLAB's. There are some difference rules also. Was it like this
> all time. Is it intended?

We find it useful to think of Octave as a superset of Matlab. Not in
terms of which functions are available, but in terms of support for the
language and syntax, and in some cases, whether arguments to a
particular function are valid.

A useful rule of thumb is if a statement or function call does not raise
an error in Matlab, then we generally try to be compatible.

If certain arguments do raise an error in Matlab but not in Octave, we
usually do not consider that an incompatibility.

As you have discovered, some numeric functions report an error when they
are given a character array, and some operate on it as if it were
numeric with no error. Matlab has the same issue, with different sets of
functions. For any Matlab function that allows character arguments, the
Octave function should also allow it (for example abs). But the inverse
does not have to be true.

--
mike