Re: comprehending the build message

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: comprehending the build message
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 19:17:08 +0530

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 4:54 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 01:48:49 +0530, Sudeepam Pandey wrote:
> All,
>     I was following the HACKING.md file to build octave dev. The *make -j2*
> command exits with the following message...
>
>   MAKEINFO ../doc/interpreter/octave.info
>   TEXI2DVI doc/interpreter/octave.dvi
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.
> Makefile:27883: recipe for target 'doc/interpreter/octave.dvi' failed
> make[2]: *** [doc/interpreter/octave.dvi] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/sudeepam/SUDEEPAM/octave/.build'
> Makefile:26444: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/sudeepam/SUDEEPAM/octave/.build'
> Makefile:10182: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Can anyone explain what this means?

This error message is pretty useless in quiet mode. To get a more
verbose error message, you can try building with 'make -j2 V=1'.

The general problem is that TeX is a huge group of packages, and you
might be missing one small package that contains a specific style or
font that GNU Texinfo uses.

Fortunately for you, Dan Sebald recently had a similar error, and maybe
the fix that he found also works for you:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53656

> What confuses me more is that, these 'errors' are there after the make -j2
> command but I can run octave from the run-octave file inside the .build
> folder (basic operations like 5+5, 8*8 etc are all working).
>
> I am confused whether Octave was build correctly or not. Can anyone help
> please?

Yes, because the 'all' target builds the octave program, but it also
builds documentation, configuration files, and icons. If building the
documentation fails, the 'all' target fails, but the octave program has
been built.

--
mike

Thank you. The error was similar and installing the required package did the job. I encountered a similar error later on due to missing qcollectiongenerator installing qt4 dev-tools fixed that as well and the build is successful now. Thank you for the help.