Re: Modifications to error handling for the command suggestion feature

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: Modifications to error handling for the command suggestion feature
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 19:07:05 +0530

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:54 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, May 19, 2018, 17:12 Sudeepam Pandey <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 2:05 AM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
On 05/19/2018 11:46 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

Our primary need is not to print the error message first, but to make sure that an error message for the mistake made in the last command does not occur after the user has executed the correct command.

yes, that makes sense. Don't want to display error message if you've interrupted the process flow and fixed it.

Regarding display or fix, i think that would make for a useful progression of complexity. Walk before you run, and maybe allow the user an option to just walk. (If we have a suggestion toggle, it could be a 3-way toggle)

I'm sorry Nicholas but can you please explain the last part that you said? I didn't understand.

And just a quick update on the process. I've made a very small (including only a few functions), definitely not very optimized, suggestion feature using the levenshtein algorithm and integrating it like we discussed previously. Its display only at this stage... here are a few test results...

>> clea
Did you mean...
clear

error: 'clea' undefined near line 1 column 1

>> clearr
Did you mean...
clear

error: 'clearr' undefined near line 1 column 1

>> clce
Did you mean...
clc

error: 'clce' undefined near line 1 column 1

>> sine
Did you mean...
sin

error: 'sine' undefined near line 1 column 1

>> sine(5)
Did you mean...
sin

error: 'sine' undefined near line 1 column 1

>> sib (10)
Did you mean...
sin

error: 'sib' undefined near line 1 column 1