Re: error to compile function

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: error to compile function
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:14:08 -0700

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:43:04 -0700, Luca Salardi wrote:
> hi,
> i write this code:
>
> function eserciziFunzioni2=mini(x)
>    eserciziFunzioni2 = x(1);
>    for i=2:length(x),
>    if x(i) < eserciziFunzioni2
>         eserciziFunzioni2 = x(i);
>         end;
>         end;
> endfunction
>

> i try do compile it i receive this error:
>
> >> eserciziFunzioni2
>
> error: 'x' undefined near line 2 column 24
> error: called from
>     eserciziFunzioni2 at line 2 column 22

There are a couple of fundamental problems with this example. You seem
to be confusing the name of the function with the return value. If you
want the function to be called 'eserciziFunzioni2', that name should
come after the equal sign.

For example

    function answer = squared (x)
      answer = x .^ 2;
    endfunction

    a = squared (5)

You should probably review this section of the user manual

  https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Defining-Functions.html

> is it logical to receive errors in compiling functions where I do not pass
> any parameters?

If you mean 'calling a function' instead of 'compiling', yes it is the
correct behavior to get an error if you don't supply the expected
arguments.

--
mike