Aw: Re: ccache for MXE Octave cross builds

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Aw: Re: ccache for MXE Octave cross builds
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:48:10 +0200

> Gesendet: Samstag, 14. Juli 2018 um 18:32 Uhr
> Von: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
>
> Did you use the --with-ccache option when configuring mxe-octave?
>
> That is intended to cause the Makefile rules ot create links in
> usr/bin/ccache for the cross compiler that will be used, and also add
> usr/bin/ccache to the PATH that is used when make runs.  However, I now
> see that the ccache-links target in the Makefile will only be executed
> automatically if you execute make with the default "all" target.
> Otherwise, you need to execute "make ccache-links" explicitly.

I configured with:
./configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-windows-64 --enable-octave=default
--enable-binary-packages --with-pkg-dir=../mxe-octave-pkg --with-ccache
--disable-system-opengl --enable-qt5

And am building with:
make all 7z-dist JOBS=3

The soft links in [mxe-octave-dir]/usr/bin/ccache are created.

I cleared my ccache cache and changed the configuration like this:
cat ~/.ccache/ccache.conf
max_size = 30.0G
hash_dir = false
compiler_check = %compiler% -v

Let's see whether this speeds things up after the next "make clean".

> I also see now that the usr/bin/ccache directory is not being created
> for the buildbots, so I don't think the cross-compile steps are taking
> advantage of ccache.  Oops.  I'll try to fix that so we get better
> performance for the mxe-octave builds.  That should speed things up a lot!

I am glad if at the very least this helps the buildbots. :-)

> I don't use hash_dir = false.

If I understood correctly, that setting should speed up compilations in the
different (but similar) Octave source trees that I have in parallel.

Markus