Re: octave forge arduino package - repo request and status

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: octave forge arduino package - repo request and status
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:43:30 -0700

> On Jun 17, 2018, at 1:05 PM, John Donoghue <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I've been playing around with a old arduino uno I've had laying around
> recently and started working on a functionality equivalent version of the
> matlab arduino support package for octave. (ie: the functions are available
> similar to the matlab documentation, but probably works differently
> internally)
>
> Currently the functionality allows:
>
> * uploading a image to the arduino to communicate to the package using the
> 'arduinosetup' which spawns the arduino IDE with code loaded.
>
> * the analog and digital functions work
>
> * basic i2cdev is working, but not fully tested
>
> * basic spidev is there, but I have found tested it against any hardware yet
>
> I'm planning on getting it to a first release state in the next couple of
> weeks. Anyone have any interest in using it?
>

> Also, can someone who has the permissions create a new hg 'arduino' repo for
> it on octave forge ?
>

> JohnD

This might be an interesting approach for my Mechatronics class this fall. I
would probably use it as a soft transition from teaching DAQs in Labview to I/O
on an Arduino. I will still want to do the section where we do the C/C++ on the
Arduinos, but this might be a good transition that isn’t quite so abrupt. They
already learned I/O in Labview and have used Matlab/Octave in quite a few
previous classes, so it would be a baby step toward C/C++.

John S.