Re: step by step guide to update code in a package

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: step by step guide to update code in a package
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 16:07:42 -0400

Do you know how to make a mercurial change set? The Next Step would be to show the maintainers of the control package, me being one of them ,
your ideas and get it approved.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018, 3:52 PM octavecontrib, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
Based on information from the wiki
https://wiki.octave.org/Contributing_to_the_development_of_packages/modules
I am trying to update some code in certain functions in the 'control' package of Octave.
  1. I cloned the control package repository using mercurial.
  2. I made a commit to my local repository to have a save state to go back to.
  3. I modified the relevant .m file.
  4. The main Makefile has an option to build ('all'), check ('check') and run Octave ('run') with the modified files.
  5. The 'run' option in the Makefile however opens octave in no-gui mode. But the changes I made have to do with figures and plotting.
  6. So, I opened Ocatve separately and 'addpath()' both 'inst' and 'src' folders in my local repository.
  7. Upon trying to run some scripts to test, Octave complained of missing functions.
  8. So, I copied the 'PKG_ADD' file containing the 'autoload()' functions from the released package folder ('/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/octave/packages/control-3.0.0/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v51') to my local repository.
  9. I tested my modifications.
  10. I committed the modifications to my local repository.
  11. ???
Questions
  • Is there a STEP BY STEP tutorial or guide for package modification?
  • Is there some established WORKFLOW for package modification? (steps 6 and 8 above don't seem proper)
  • I want to know if the steps 1-9 above are correct and what to do next to submit the changes to the package maintainers.
Thanks in advance,