Re: Advices on Mercurial history search

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Advices on Mercurial history search
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 21:36:53 -0400

On Tue, 2018-09-25 at 10:54 -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> I have not had much luck with 'hg blame' on the Octave code tree because
> there are often many changes in organization, indentation, formatting,
> and spelling lying between the head and the actual change I am
> interested in.

I use a couple of tricks for those cases.

First there's `hg ann -w somefile` that ignores whitespace changes. I
then look at the commit in question via `hg log -pvr $revnum`.

If I arrive at a line that happens to nevertheless be the result of a
trivial change, I then look at the annotation again, but starting from
one commit before the trivial change, e.g. `hg ann -wr $revnum^` (note
the caret to annotate the parent revision before the trivial commit).