Re: Update to Qt 5.11.2 in MXE Octave

From: mmuetzel
Subject: Re: Update to Qt 5.11.2 in MXE Octave
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 03:48:10 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for having pushed that patch.

Unfortunately, other packages seem to be affected by the glibc update as
well.
Yesterday, I wanted to start a clean cross-build for Windows on that VM with
Ubuntu 18.10 by running:
make clean
./configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-windows-64 --enable-octave=default
--enable-binary-packages --with-pkg-dir=../mxe-octave-pkg --with-ccache
--disable-system-opengl --enable-qt5
make all 7z-dist JOBS=3

It fails early on for the build-m4 target with the error:
/home/osboxes/Documents/Repositories/Octave/mxe-octave-3/tmp-build-m4/m4-1.4.18/lib/freadahead.c:
In function 'freadahead':
/home/osboxes/Documents/Repositories/Octave/mxe-octave-3/tmp-build-m4/m4-1.4.18/lib/freadahead.c:92:3:
error: #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the
definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to
bug-gnulib."
  #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the
definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to
bug-gnulib."
   ^~~~~
make[6]: *** [Makefile:1910: freadahead.o] Error 1

This is probably the same as: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59758

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an updated version of m4 yet.

If I understand correctly, all software that bundles an older version of
gnulib is affected by this issue.

At the moment, I am regretting having updated to Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic
Cuttlefish. I strongly advise everybody against updating their build system
to a version that uses glibc 2.28 if they want to use MXE Octave currently.

Markus