Re: Update to Qt 5.11.2 in MXE Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Update to Qt 5.11.2 in MXE Octave
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:32:36 -0400

On 10/20/2018 04:48 AM, mmuetzel wrote:
Thanks for having pushed that patch.

Unfortunately, other packages seem to be affected by the glibc update as
well.
Yesterday, I wanted to start a clean cross-build for Windows on that VM with
Ubuntu 18.10 by running:
make clean
./configure --enable-devel-tools --enable-windows-64 --enable-octave=default
--enable-binary-packages --with-pkg-dir=../mxe-octave-pkg --with-ccache
--disable-system-opengl --enable-qt5
make all 7z-dist JOBS=3

It fails early on for the build-m4 target with the error:
/home/osboxes/Documents/Repositories/Octave/mxe-octave-3/tmp-build-m4/m4-1.4.18/lib/freadahead.c:
In function 'freadahead':
/home/osboxes/Documents/Repositories/Octave/mxe-octave-3/tmp-build-m4/m4-1.4.18/lib/freadahead.c:92:3:
error: #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the
definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to
bug-gnulib."
   #error "Please port gnulib freadahead.c to your platform! Look at the
definition of fflush, fread, ungetc on your system, then report this to
bug-gnulib."
    ^~~~~
make[6]: *** [Makefile:1910: freadahead.o] Error 1

This is probably the same as: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59758

If this is just a problem with some of the build tools you can try to skip them by eliminating them from the list of tools in Makefile.in.

We build tools like m4 in mxe-octave so that we can try to ensure new enough versions are availble for building all the other tools and packages. But if you have a modern system, that's probably not necessary. It's worth a try to eliminate the build-* packages that don't work and use the versions of those tools that you already have installed on your system.