Re: Help with helpdlg

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Help with helpdlg
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 12:13:31 -0700

On 11/02/2018 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: Help with helpdlg
From:
Mike Miller <address@hidden>
Date:
11/01/2018 12:36 PM
To:
address@hidden
Message:
2

On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 12:28:07 -0700, Rik wrote:
Interesting, I'm running Linux with KDE as my window manager and it is not
selected by default.  Maybe there is something different about my machine,
although listdlg correctly sets "OK" as the default button.
This is probably a side effect of helpdlg now being a graphics figure
object on the default branch instead of just a Qt dialog. I suspect
Ian's result was with Octave 4.4. I see the same difference on Debian
between 4.4 and 5.0.
That makes sense.  Most of the *dlg functions now re-route to msgbox.m and msgbox creates the "OK" button as a uicontrol object.  I tried Matlab syntax to set the focus on the newly created ui object, but ran in to this:

uicontrol (hu)
warning: uicontrol: focusing not implemented yet
warning: called from
    uicontrol at line 110 column 5

Just briefly looking at the Qt docs shows that there is a setFocus member function for QWidgets.  The path to implementing this is probably straightforward, but also long.  One would need to create an interface in octave_link, call the new function from uicontrol.m, and implement the actual behavior in libgui/src/octave-link.cc.  I'll file a bug report.

--Rik