Re: building on macOS?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: building on macOS?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 07:18:08 -0800

> On Nov 5, 2018, at 3:53 AM, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 5 Nov 2018, at 03:41, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I tried generating a txt file manually. No error.
>>
>> function image_as_txt (d, nm)
>>  fid = fopen (fullfile (d, [nm ".txt"]), "wt");
>>  fputs (fid, "\n");
>>  fputs (fid, "+---------------------------------+\n");
>>  fputs (fid, "| Image unavailable in text mode. |\n");
>>  fputs (fid, "+---------------------------------+\n");
>>  fclose (fid);
>> endfunction
>> image_as_txt (‘./doc/interpreter/', 'foo')
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> I am still on HighSierra and I get something similar to you.
>
> If I run make I get a failure :

> /bin/sh run-octave --norc --silent --no-history --path
> /Users/carlo/Documents/_Programmi/Miei/C/octave/build-default/../octave/doc/interpreter/
>  --eval "geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'delaunay', 'txt');"
> fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
> make[2]: *** [doc/interpreter/delaunay.txt] Segmentation fault: 11
> make[2]: *** Deleting file `doc/interpreter/delaunay.txt'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> If I try to run the same command as shown in the make output manually the
> command works :

> $ ./run-octave --no-gui
> GNU Octave, version 5.0.0
> Copyright (C) 2018 John W. Eaton and others.
> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.
>
> Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0".
>
> Additional information about Octave is available at https://www.octave.org.
>
> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
> For more information, visit https://www.octave.org/get-involved.html
>
> Read https://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
> For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.
>
>>> addpath (canonicalize_file_name ("../octave/doc/interpreter/"))
>>> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'delaunay', 'txt')
>
> but then I get a segmentation fault when quitting Octave :

>>> exit
> fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
> HTH,
> c.

Thanks Carlo.

I recall that I often had to “make” several times to complete the docs.
Perhaps something changed recently to cause the segfault, or something changed
to cause the image output to be deleted.

Looks like the deletion is part of the build process. Buried in make process I
assume. Is this something we control?

Ben