[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Octave 5.0 Release

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave 5.0 Release
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:40:52 -0800

On 12/12/2018 10:17 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 12/11/18 6:20 PM, Rik wrote:

I want less traumatic too, but everyone is going to code right up until we
say "pencils down" and do a code freeze.  I just don't see us changing
human nature.  Rather than trying to limit the scope to small bugs (a
subjective criteria), maybe we should just move the code freeze sooner so
it gives us more time to test and verify things.

Fair enough.  Are there any critical blocking bugs?  Should be pick a date to freeze and merge default to stable?  My time will also be very limited between about December 21 and January 2.

I kicked the process off.  There is now a 5.0 Release checklist at https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist.

The first four items are:
  1. Update gnulib to latest version
    Must occur first as it could resolve existing, or create new, bug reports
    Completion Date:
  2. File bug reports for all outstanding bugs known, but not reported
    • Put out a general call for reports on Octave-Maintainers and Octave-Help list
    Completion Date:
  3. Review patch tracker/bug list for any patches submitted that may be included before release
    Completion Date:
  4. Identify Bugs which *must* be fixed prior to release
    • Review bugs on tracker for possible inclusion in list
    • Review bugs and update to correct category, such as Patch submitted
    Completion Date:
I always forget how to update gnulib so if you could take care of that it would be great.

We're currently on items 2 and 3.  We still need to decide on a final date for accepting new code.  After that date, we start item #4 which is triaging the bugs to figure out which ones we need to fix.  It's at that point where we would uncover any blockers.

I have promised Juan that I would work on bringing the movfun code into core Octave this weekend.  There is also a bug regarding bias in randi that I want fixed.  I could be ready as soon as Sunday, 12/16 to move to step 4.  But, if we want to give people a bit more notice we could wait a week until Friday, 12/21. 


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]