Re: initialization files for test suite

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: initialization files for test suite
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:25:53 -0800

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 09:17:19 -0800, Rik wrote:
> I think this is a good aspirational goal, but not something that we can
> implement immediately.  What I did do, immediately, was to change the
> invocation of octave when running 'make check' to use '--no-init-file'
> rather than '--norc'.  See
> https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/8e97a2e5ab66.  This is a step
> towards the eventual goal, and will do the right thing when the system
> (such as Mac) require customization even to run.

This was not necessary, but also shouldn't hurt much.

It's still not clear to me whether Andrew's discussion of customizations
on macOS are relevant to the context of "make check", or whether this
was about running the test suite in a different manner and environment.

> I haven't checked whether run-octave does the correct thing in a newly
> unpacked and compiled source tree and takes the system-wide octaverc from
> the build directory, versus the install directory.  If it is the latter
> then a previous installation of Octave would be required to run 'make
> check' which is not ideal.

The run-octave script already sets the environment variables
OCTAVE_SITE_INITFILE and OCTAVE_VERSION_INITFILE to point to the source
tree, not an issue, very well tested by now.

--
mike