Re: Hardening BIST tests

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Hardening BIST tests
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 03:44:17 -0600 (CST)

Rik-4 wrote
> On 02/08/2019 06:03 PM,

> octave-maintainers-request@

>  wrote:
>> Re: Hardening BIST tests
>> From:
>> Mike Miller <

> mtmiller@

>> Date:
>> 02/08/2019 06:03 PM

> octave-maintainers@

>> <mailto:

> octave-maintainers@

> address@hidden

>> protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv"
>> Message:
>> 5
>>

>> More hardening ideas, some of which I have tested already:
>>
>>  - run with DISPLAY set to empty, or with --no-window-system
>>  - run with HOME set to / or to a nonexistent directory
>>  - run with TMPDIR set to /var/tmp
>>  - run with "format long" or some other custom format (e.g. bug #55539)
>>
>> --
>
> I ran three more scenarios
>
>  - save_precision (1) : 1 problem fixed here
> (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/87d3baf1c024)
>  - format hex : 10 problems fixed here
> (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/daa281e03d9a)
>  - save_default_options ("-text -z") with a version of Octave without zlib
> support : 26 failures, but I figure that was okay.  The scenario where
> this
> would occur is unlikely.  A developer with the '-z' option is switching
> back and forth between multiple installed versions some with / some
> without
> ZLIB.
>
> Maybe this happens all the time, but I think Windows user's should try
> __run_test_suite__ when they are on a different drive letter then the
> location where Octave was installed.

Windows installations of Octave are a somewhat self-contained thing due to
the way MSYS2 is set up, maybe that interferes a bit.
To invoke __run_test_suite__.m, cd'ing to some temp subdir should do. An
easy way to do this would be

cd (getenv ("TMP"))

which will get you into C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Temp where you'll
have guaranteed r/w permission - given sufficient space on the c: drive.
(environment variables TEMP and TMP (both pointing to the same location) are
AFAIK set by Windows automatically at boot time.)

Philip