Re: Policy for grafting bug fixes from dev to stable

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Policy for grafting bug fixes from dev to stable
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 17:32:12 -0500

On 2/26/19 12:33 PM, Rik wrote:

How do we want to handle bug fixes (not addition of new features) which
were made on the development branch because the stable branch was in a code
freeze during the release process?  Some of the patches fix legitimate
bugs, but there was insufficient time for testing the patches so the code
went to the dev branch.  One strategy is to assume that there are enough
testers on the development branch so that by the time the 5.2.0 bug fix
release is made in, say 4 months, there has been sufficient vetting of the
patches.

It seems fine to graft fixes to stable. I'd prefer to limit the fixes to important bug fixes. Things like incorrect results or crashes should be fixed, but we should resist the urge to add new features.

As a separate issue, I made a number of small errors with this release so that it might be good to make a new release in maybe 2 months instead of 4.

In that case, a suitably complex hg expression that extracts
csets from the date when stable and dev diverged to the present, which were
made on the development branch, and which reference "bug #" should produce
an initial list for grafting back to stable.  The list would still need to
be pared of bugs which were actually new feature additions.

Yes, that seems like a good way to generate a starting point.