Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 18:13:26 -0700

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:02:26 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 3/12/19 12:51 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
> > > What does the output for the list of tests above look like for Qt 5.5?
> >
> > I'll try to find that out, maybe for a handful of different Qt 5
> > versions for comparison.
>
> OK.  BTW, for 5.12, the only ones that fail for me are:

I compiled a table of configure feature test results for various
versions of Qt available on Debian and Ubuntu stable releases, and
included your 4.8.7 results. I hope this is useful:

  https://gitlab.com/snippets/1834909

I didn't have a Qt 5.4 readily available, but you can see that 5.5 is
the first Qt version with QOpenGLWidget and QOpenGLContext for working
offscreen rendering. I expect the same results with 5.4.

If we drop checking for Qt 4 (only look for Qt5Core, not QtCore), and
drop checking for QGLWidget (only look for QOpenGLWidget and require
that for AMCOND_BUILD_QT_GRAPHICS), the table shows that would eliminate
the need for more than half of these feature tests.

If we come to a consensus on this I am happy to do the work and/or test
this big change, and I now have test environments set up for each of
these Qt versions.

--
mike