Re: llvm fails to get built in mxe-octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: llvm fails to get built in mxe-octave
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:39:46 -0500

On 3/23/19 6:09 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Hi,

When starting a completely new fresh mxe-octave build, building llvm gets
stuck in the last stages. Excerpt from build log below. I see a long list of
errors about "too many open files".

What can I do to get llvm cross-built?

What do

  ulimit -n
  ulimit -Hn

say? On Debian systems the soft limit appears to be 1024 by default. That's apparently too low now for building llvm, so try increasing it.

  ulimit -n 4096

The procedure for setting the default value may vary by system. On Debian sytsems, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add/change the value for

  fs.file-max=4096

The value should change on the next system restart.

I did this for the buildbot systems that are doing Windows builds because we were having the same problem there.