Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:25:50 -0700

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 03:49:28 -0400, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Did not know that. I'll read up on Hg bookmarks.

Cool. I have plenty of other tips, for Git users and in general. Should
probably write those up somewhere.

> Cool! What was the code you used to do the bisecting? I'm working on a
> similar thing, and my solution in progress is rather ungainly.
> https://github.com/apjanke/rebuild-octave-repo

For this specifically, I first found the count of revisions from start
to the @ bookmark with

    $ hg log -r "::@" -T . | wc -c
    26302

Then I just divided by 4 and got the revision IDs with

    $ hg log -r "::@" -T "{node|short}\n" | sed -n '6575p; 13151p; 19726p;'
    d5d6a670f137
    2e4252228f73
    6cfbf412a2c3

By default "hg log -r <range>" lists oldest-first, so I pushed these in
order. I also used "hg log -r <rev>" to spot check and make sure they
were all on the default branch, but that may not matter.

> Are there any better options for Hg? I"m not up for hosting my own
> publicly-visible repo.

Unfortunately Bitbucket is the best that I know of. I do still use it
for hosting my own copies of Octave, a few Forge packages, Hg itself.

Bitbucket is fine for hosting your own personal repo. You should
definitely look into Hg Evolve, and maybe enable the

    [x] This is a non-publishing repository

setting on Bitbucket.

I'm just warning that I've hit a few pain points when doing true
distributed development on Bitbucket with forks, PRs, rebasing works in
progress, and so on. I should probably write these up somewhere too.

It's just a shame that Hg is as powerful as Git, but there aren't any
really compelling collaborative hosting platforms out there that come
close to GitLab or GitHub.

--
mike