Re: Problems using latest build

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Problems using latest build
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 08:41:36 +0200

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:15 AM José Abílio Matos <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 May 2019 21.13.34 WEST Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> This is indeed pretty weird.  Does this also happen, if you freshly restart
> Octave?  Do you have any specific language settings for you KDE (fonts,
> ...) ?  Does this now always happen for each fresh Octave session, that you
> only see "gibberish" fonts?
>
> Best,
> Kai

Before changing the preferences I had a readable font (honestly I do not know
which).

When I changed the preference not to use the native file dialog (and I have
just changed that preference). Saving the preferences also changed the font
used for the command window.

The list of available fonts are all mono (typewriter) fonts. It happens that
in my case, for some reason that escapes me, I have the CCIcons font installed
and since the list is ordered alphabetically that font is picked when saving
the preferences even if I have not selected that font.

I called that "gibberish" fonts because I was taken by surprise. It was
clearly unexpected, at least for me.

I hope that this explanation makes sense. :-)

Best regards,
--
José Matos

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  If you now have the binary choice between saving in less than two minutes or reading text in the command line, I suggest to open a bug report about this [1]. To me it seems, that the current situation makes Octave unusable for you and maybe others using the same system.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave