Re: GUI terminal widget

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI terminal widget
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:55:53 -0400

On 6/4/19 2:39 PM, Torsten Lilge wrote:

As mentioned in the wiki , qtermwidget is not available for windows. I
think that's why it is not an option since, we still would have to
maintain two different terminals, which is really hard when trying to
implement new features or fixing bugs.

My memory may be a little fuzzy, but as I recall, the qterminal code that we forked only supported running a separate process in the terminal and we wanted to run Octave in a separate thread inside the terminal, not as a separate process. Running Octave as a separate process brings up a whole other set of issues (parsing output and creating a way to send and receive info to the process apart from the displayed input/output stream).

We could attempt to go back to the qtermwidget code and see if we could modify it to do what we need, and this time, get our changes adopted upstream. The changes would be

  * Allow direct connection to a pty instead of using a subprocess.

* Make it work on Windows so we don't have two completely separate widgets. But we would still have almost completely separate implementations internally because the Unix code uses ptys and the Windows code uses a Windows Console object.