Re: Octave specific legend calling forms

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave specific legend calling forms
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:03:02 +0200

Am 10. Oktober 2019 um 18:48 Uhr schrieb "Rik":

Subject:Re: Octave specific legend call forms

From:Pantxo Diribarne <address@hidden>[mailto:address@hidden]

Date:10/10/2019 07:32 AM

To:Ben Abbott <address@hidden>[mailto:address@hidden]

CC:Octave Maintainers <address@hidden>[mailto:address@hidden]

Precedence:list

MIME-Version:1.0

Message:4

Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 16:26, Ben Abbott
<address@hidden[mailto:address@hidden]> a écrit :

> On Oct 10, 2019, at 15:21, Pantxo Diribarne
> <address@hidden[mailto:address@hidden]> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to rewrite the legend function and would like your
> opinion on an Octave specific way of manipulating legend objects. In demos we
> often use the following construct:
>
> plot (1:10);
> h = legend ("Hello");
> legend (h, "fontsize", 20);
>
> The last line is strange. We use "legend" to do what "set" should be doing.
> AFAICS this construct is not documented (only axes handles are documented to
> be possible as first argument). IMHO it doesn't feel natural to replace "set"
> by "legend" and doesn't bring any simplification so I'd like to remove this
> Octave specific call form.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Pantxo

 Matlab behaves that way.?

Ben

No, Matlab (2019b, tested online) forbids legend objects as first argument.

Did Matlab used to support this syntax?  If so, we would want Octave to stay
backward-compatible for a while so that everyone's scripts from 5 years ago are
still operative.

Overall, though, I agree that once you have a legend object in a handle it
makes sense to act on the handle rather than re-invoking legend.

--Rik

I tried with Matlab R2012a and it doesn't work as one might expect. The label
in the legend changes to "fontsize".
If that syntax ever worked like this in Matlab, it seems to be long time gone.

Markus