Re: Markdown processor recommendation?

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Markdown processor recommendation?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:35:33 -0700

On 10/21/2019 05:05 PM, Ardid, Salva wrote:
> El dilluns, 21 d’octubre de 2019, a les 19:52:38 EDT, Rik va escriure:
>
>   Does anyone have a recommendation for a Markdown processor?  I did the
>   obvious thing and used the 'markdown' Debian package, but it is code from
>   2004 and does an awful job on the Octave NEWS file.  I want to convert the
>   NEWS file to something else, like HTML, so I can preview how it appears.
>
>   --Rik
>

> I strongly recommend using discount:
>
> http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/discount
> https://github.com/Orc/discount

I tried discount Debian package and it produces the same odd rendering for
the first sentences of the NEWS file.  Dang!

The NEWS file begins

- The `intersect`, `setdiff', `setxor`, `union`, and `unique` functions
  accept a new sorting option `"stable"` which will return output values
  in the same order as the input, rather than in ascending order.

Either markdown or discount produce

and</code>unique<code>functions
accept a new sorting option</code>&ldquo;stable&rdquo;` which will return
output values
in the same order as the input, rather than in ascending order.</p></li>

The comma character ',' seems to be messing up the markdown parser.
Instead of each single function name getting wrapped in <code>...</code>
blocks, the wrapping seems arbitrary.

--Rik