Re: Markdown processor recommendation?

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Markdown processor recommendation?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 08:17:45 -0700

On 10/21/2019 08:51 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> On 10/22/19 11:59 AM, Rik wrote:
>> After clearing that hurdle, I reviewed the resulting HTML and there were a
>> few other places that didn't render well.  I fixed those up here
>> (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/207e0bc53cdd), although I bet
>> the double spaces at the end of one of the lines--which are required to
>> introduce a line break in HTML--get deleted in the future by someone intent
>> on cleaning trailing spaces.
>>
>> --Rik

For a simple language, this sure is getting complex.  I made two more
modifications here: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5e1f2f1a7fcf.

> Regarding the double spaces, you are right, this is "dangerous".  My
> editor is likely to mess this up, because of automatic removal of
> trailing white space.  A better solution might be to either use a sub list:
>
> -    `Octave:colon-complex-argument`   : when any arg is complex
> -    `Octave:colon-nonscalar-argument` : when any arg is non-scalar
> +  - `Octave:colon-complex-argument`   : when any arg is complex
> +  - `Octave:colon-nonscalar-argument` : when any arg is non-scalar

This puts a bubble 'o' before each warning which I didn't like.  Instead I
used the blockquote operator '>'.  This gets me something I like visually,
but it still has the problem that the trailing spaces are *required* for
the line break.

> Or to use 8 spaces for indention to automatically get a code block [1]:
>
> -    `Octave:colon-complex-argument`   : when any arg is complex
> -    `Octave:colon-nonscalar-argument` : when any arg is non-scalar
> +       Octave:colon-complex-argument   : when any arg is complex
> +       Octave:colon-nonscalar-argument : when any arg is non-scalar
>
> This might also apply for
>
> -     `format long e uppercase loose`
> +       format long e uppercase loose

I made the change to use 8 spaces for an indented code block since that
produces a result similar to the plaintext output of Texinfo which will be
familiar to Octave users.

--Rik