Re: dropping QT4 support

From: Rik
Subject: Re: dropping QT4 support
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 07:37:05 -0800

On 11/02/2019 12:10 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Require Qt5 for the upcoming 6.1 release?
From:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Date:
11/01/2019 01:01 PM
To:
Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
7bit
Message:
1

I just wasted WAY more time than I would like to admit debugging a signal/slot connection because of a stupid ONE-CHARACTER TYPO.  Instead of

  connect (p, SIGNAL (settings_changed (const gui_settings *)),
           this, SLOT (handle_settings (const gui_settings *)));

I wrote

  connect (p, SIGNAL (settings_changed (const gui_ettings *)),
           this, SLOT (handle_settings (const gui_settings *)));

It seems obvious now, but of course there was no warning and I simply could not spot the error among all the other changes I had made.  Gah.

Can we just please give up on Qt4 already and start using Qt5-style signal/slot connections that would catch this kind of error at compile time?

We discussed dropping support for Qt4 back in March and June of this year.  I think most of us agreed that it was a good idea but we haven't followed through.

If we agree that this is the right move for 6.1, then I'm willing to do most or all of the work to fix the configure script and start updating the sources immediately.  If we delay, I think we will have to wait until after the 6.1 release as this is a fairly big change so deserves sufficient time for testing.

No objection.  The last Qt4 release was December, 2011 or approximately 8 years ago.  Even most long-term release distributions provide only 3 or 5 years support, so the number of users for Octave who require this feature is already very small.

--Rik