Re: scripts in private directories?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: scripts in private directories?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:53:19 -0600

On 11/23/19 12:43 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 11/22/19 3:39 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:48:35 -0800, Rik wrote:
Scripts, effectively a laundry list of commands, don't seem like an object that would regularly be put in a library of functions.  Instead, they seem
like a top-level, user-sort of object that calls functions.

Right, that's my opinion also. I tend to use function files for
everything. It wouldn't even occur to me to write a script in a private
directory. So it would be good to have a definitive answer for users and
packages that are impacted by this change in Octave 6, even if the
answer is "yes, that error is correct, use functions, not scripts".

Scripts are sometimes used like include files so that common variable definitions can be shared among multiple function or script files.  So I think the private directory scoping rules should also work for them. I'll take a look and see what needs to be done.

I pushed the following changeset:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7a45100a40c4

Does this fix the problem for you?

Thanks,