Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 22:21:46 -0800

On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 01:07:44 +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> The point being raised here is that a forum "would increase activity
> with more questions and answers" but what features in the forum would
> actually enable that?

That's GoSim's claim. I think it's hopeful and not necessarily true, but
could be something that one could try to measure as a metric of success.

I claim a little more cautiously, that I think a forum may make it
easier and safer for a wider variety of users to participate than a
mailing list, may help loosen some restrictions such as large file
attachments, support formatted code blocks, and so on. These features
may end up increasing activity, but that can only be known by trying.

> The point also mentions "questions and answers" which for me means a
> Q&A site, just like Juan already suggested.  I actually quite like
> them.  There is an octave tag on StackOverflow which I check almost
> daily and there's a few constant people answering questions there:
>
>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/octave
>
> So maybe start from there?

Yeah, I think Stack Exchange is perfectly fine for users who want
definitive answers to specific questions. With a Q&A site, you are
asking every user to be a contributor to a form of documentation, more
like a wiki. I still see a place for a Discourse instance as an
evolution of the discussion mailing list medium.

--
mike