Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 07:41:31 +0900

On 1/28/20 3:26 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like the stable branch has been updated to version 5.2.0 on
> Friday (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f4b6b170a761).
>
> This change typically means the release is done, so is someone planning
> on tagging and uploading the release to ftp?
>
> Since the stable branch has advanced, please remember to rewind to
> revision f4b6b170a761 when running 'make dist'.
>
> Thanks,

Yes, I did this change before to avoid Octave's typical: "We have
released but forgotten to update the date/version number in document X"

   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c2e6725987ce

which is for example now part of our official Octave 5.1.0 tarball and
happened quite often in the pas in the heat of the release.

Personally I think we can tag any commit as 5.2.0.  There a always small
things one easily forgets.  For me a commit like

   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d9316571d91

is totally enough to identify a release.

Right now, I did not build the final releases to wait for urgent small
last minute commits.  I want to start the builds on Friday so we can
enjoy with beginning of February Octave 5.2.0.

Kai