Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 08:25:31 +0900

On 1/29/20 4:50 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 07:41:31 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>> Yes, I did this change before to avoid Octave's typical: "We have
>> released but forgotten to update the date/version number in document X"
>>
>>    https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c2e6725987ce
>>
>> which is for example now part of our official Octave 5.1.0 tarball and
>> happened quite often in the pas in the heat of the release.
>
> Thank you, I understand. Those kinds of mistakes are indeed problems.
> However, I hope we can continue to improve the release process so that
> this kind of thing is no longer something to worry about.
>
>> Personally I think we can tag any commit as 5.2.0.  There a always small
>> things one easily forgets.  For me a commit like
>>
>>    https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d9316571d91
>>
>> is totally enough to identify a release.
>
> Well, yeah, the 'hg tag' command always creates a new commit, but it
> assigns the tag to a previous revision. The commit you point isn't the
> release, it created a tag for version 5.1.0 on this commit
>
>   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d05d6eebde10
>
> which is exactly what I would have hoped to see for this release as
> well.
>
> Personally, I would prefer that the stable branch builds version 5.1.91
> or 5.1.92 until a single commit changes the version to 5.2.0, followed
> by a commit that tags it, followed by another that changes the version
> to 5.2.1. This is how we decided to do it starting with version 5.1.0.
>
> For example, this sequence of commits for version 5.1.0 updated the
> version, tagged the release, and updated the version again
>
>   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d05d6eebde10
>   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d9316571d91
>   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d27954485ed

Alright I see and agree with you.  Changing the version one week before
is too early.  I simply wanted to assure that on Jan 31st my build
system runs smoothly and I do not delay things by forgetting important
version updates =)

But for this release, is it okay, if we regard those few last days
changes as well?

Kai