Re: Release 6.1

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: Release 6.1
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 14:08:24 +0100

Le jeudi 30 janvier 2020 à 12:55 +0100, Markus Mützel a écrit :
> Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
> > I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it
> > will be
> > 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable
> > and we can
> > start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up
> > before the
> > Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.
>
> I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that
> ready for their freeze.
> I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to
> stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are
> still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.

It won’t be easy to have Octave 6.1 in Ubuntu LTS 20.04.

Ubuntu LTS normally takes its packages from Debian testing. For sure,
it’s already too late to have Octave 6.1 in Debian testing by that date
(we have to manage a so-called “transition” on the Debian side, and
this typically takes several weeks, sometimes even months).

Maybe it would be possible to request an exception from the Ubuntu
folks and have Octave 6.1 taken from Debian experimental. But, even if
Ubuntu granted that exception, I’m not even sure that I will have the
time to upload Octave 6.1 to Debian experimental in time, depending on
the release date.

So my advise would be to not tie the release schedule of Octave 6.1 to
Ubuntu’s.

On the other hand, having Octave 5.2 in Ubuntu LTS is perfectly
feasible (because a minor update requires much less time to be
performed on the Debian side).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer