Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 13:29:12 -0500

On 2/3/20 12:37 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
On 2/4/20 2:16 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Ian McCallion <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 16:37, Ian McCallion <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 09:26, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:

Second try.  All files are uploaded to https://octave.space

I also just noticed the primary folder in the windows zip and 7z
archives is 'octave-2020-02-03-12-11-w64' like the RCs, as opposed to
the 'octave-5.2.0-w64' that i'm used to seeing on released versions.
Or is that the new standard format?

Probably not... -.-  But I think this can be fixed by simply repacking
those files.

Anyway we should proceed to get 5.2.0 done soon.

The MXE target

    https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/file/b34f5f5a2cac/src/release-octave.mk

is "too inflexible" to allow an non-alround admin like me to easily make
use of it.

If necessary, I will rebuild everything a third time.  But I need some
help by jwe to upload the octave tar.gz / .lz / .xz to the official
location and by some MXE maintainer to bumb the release-octave.mk to
5.2.0 with the respective checksum.

I uploaded the source files and they should appear on ftp.gnu.org soon.

It should be possible to build the windows binary files and have directory names like octave-5.2.0-w64 without having to upload the files to ftp.gnu.org first. The process may not be immediately obvious, but you should be able to make the required changes in your local copy of mxe-octave and then place the tar file in the local mxe package source directory. Then the mxe-octave Makefile won't attempt to download it from ftp.gnu.org if the checksum in the release-octave.mk file matches.

In any case, now that the tar files are uploaded, I'll look at making the changes to mxe-octave.