Re: Documentation on sources

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Documentation on sources
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 12:09:39 -0800

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 11:39:57 +0100, JuanPi wrote:
> The README file at the top-level in the source tree says that
> installation instructions are found in INSTALL.OCTAVE which I can't
> find

The file INSTALL.OCTAVE is generated, and is in the top-level of the
distributed source archive, e.g. octave-5.2.0.tar.xz.

The source for this file is doc/interpreter/install.txi, if you want to
read it straight from the repository, and if you don't mind reading
Texinfo.

  https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave/-/blob/master/doc/interpreter/install.txi

It's also included as Appendix E in the user manual:

  https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Installation.html

> and that more instructions are found int he etc folder. Where
> are the instructions on the etc folder?

I think the text you are referring to is outdated, let's fix it.

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57772

Thanks,

--
mike