Annoyances with octave 6.0 (editor and others)

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Annoyances with octave 6.0 (editor and others)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:27:59 +0100

Hi,
  I am writing this in order to understand if this is a known bug, and if not
to submit a bug in Savannah.

  The background, I am using octave in Fedora 32, compiled using gcc 10 and qt
5.13.2 among others.

  My first annoyance is that sometimes is a if the editor looses the focus, I
do not know where the cursor is. I do not know I get in this state. The work
around is simple, changing to the command line and back gets the focus again.

  Sometimes the shortcuts do not work, e.g. Ctr+S to save or copy or paste....
Again the solution is to use the mouse, clicking over the document and then
all works again. It is weird... :-)

  Another small annoyance, this time not related with the Editor is that when
working with namespaces I need to quit octave and restart it so that a change
in the folder structure is reflected in the namespace.

As an example suppose that suppose that I have a structure like this:

+dir1/+dir2/file1.m
+dir1/+dir3/file2.m
+dir1/file3.m

If add another file or directory to this structure, let us says +dir1/file4.m
and I refer to dir1.file4 Octave throws an error complaining that dir1.file4
does not exists.

Restarting and starting over fixes this.

Is there any workaround? E.g. when using classes and touching a classdef file
issuing "clear classes" allows the changes to be known.

Thank you for the amazing work done on octave.

Best regards,
--
José Matos