Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 00:42:24 -0400

On 5/6/20 12:10 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> On 5/6/20 1:18 AM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I'm having a few difficulties in installing the dependencies through the
>> terminal in mac .
>> Is there any other way I can extract the documentation ?
>> Hoping to hear from you soon
>> Regards
>> Prubhtej Singh
>

> On 5/6/20 8:04 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>> Being able to build Octave would be important to a GSoD project, so
>> you should learn how to do it. We can try to help you if you give
>> details about the problem you had.
>>

> Dear Prubhtej Singh,
>
> Nir is right.  If it is not possible to build Octave on a mac (I never
> tried myself), maybe you should consider some virtualization technology,
> e.g. VirtualBox [1], with Debian / Ubuntu for building Octave "in a box".
>
> HTH,
> Kai
>
> [1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

If you just need Octave to be built, and not have to worry about working
on the build system itself, you can use Homebrew with the custom Octave
formulae provided by
Octave.app [1]. To do so:

* Install MacTeX from https://tug.org/mactex/
* Install Homebrew from https://brew.sh/
* Then, in the terminal:

$ brew tap octave-app/octave-app
$ brew install octave-default

This will take care of installing all the dependencies for you, and
applies a couple patches needed on Mac. It's worked pretty reliably for
me for the past couple years.

The "octave-default" formula builds and installs Octave from the head of
the "default" branch, which is where the latest development takes place.

If you then need to build Octave from a local checkout of the octave
Mercurial repo (so you can see how your modifications to the doco look),
you can use my Mac build scripts from
https://github.com/apjanke/octave-build. These will build Octave against
all the dependencies installed by Homebrew.

macOS 10.13 or newer is required.

If any of this doesn't work for you, let us know at
https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/issues and we'll try to fix it.
One of our goals is to make it easy for people to build and hack on
Octave on macOS.

(Octave.app is a third-party project dedicated to building and
distributing Octave on Macs, maintained by Sebastian Schoeps and myself.)

Cheers,
Andrew Janke

[1] https://octave-app.org