Re: "current" URL/link for Octave docs

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: "current" URL/link for Octave docs
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 03:55:46 -0400

On 7/7/20 10:14 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> This feature already exists.  The latest GNU Octave documentation has
> always been available from
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/interpreter
>
> Now I am overhauling the website a little and added a more intuitive link
>
>    https://octave.org/doc/latest
>
> Thus "latest" and "interpreter" point to the latest version of the
> documentation now.  A further step was to implant some version chooser
> into the manual pages itself, but this requires some more work...

Cool! Thanks for adding the "latest" URL.

It looks like this is implemented as an HTTP redirect, not an alias.
Would this work better as an alias? With a redirect, I think you get
less googlejuice, and when users are viewing these pages in a browser
and then copy the URL for sharing with other people or pasting in to
Stack Overflow answers or whatever, they end up getting the
version-specific URL, so the version-specific URLs are what end up
getting propagated into the world of discussion on the web.

Cheers,
Andrew