Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 6.0.90 release candidate Octave.app build
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 13:51:02 +0900

On 9/17/20 2:45 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've put together an Octave.app build of the Octave 6.0.90 release
> candidate, if anyone would like a convenient way of testing this out on Mac.
>
> https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/tag/v6.0.90-rc1
>
> Requires macOS 10.14 or later (because I'm getting build errors on 10.13).
>
> This build is done against the newish Qt 5.15 LTS release.
>
> I have high hopes that this release might fix the "freezing GUI" issue
> that's been plaguing us on Mac: the 6.0.90 GUI has been running fine for
> me on macOS 10.14 so far.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Andrew, thanks for providing the release candidate.  I am not a native
macOS user, but I gave it a try on a MacBook Air from 2013 (Catalina
10.15.6).

Some of my experience:

+ The GUI does not hang on closing by typing "exit" or pressing the
window "x".

+ Plotting, editing works without freezes or hangs.

- The dmg-file comes from an untrusted source, I had to do some action [1].

- There is a font cache to be generated in my home directory on the
first run.  This process failed (due to permissions?) and I don't know
if it was successful at all.

- I cannot use the App menus [2], they seem to be all deactivated.

Kai

[1]
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/open-a-mac-app-from-an-unidentified-developer-mh40616/mac
[2] https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/menu-bar-mchlp1446/mac