Re: oct file not found

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: oct file not found
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 15:20:20 -0400

On 3/16/21 1:34 PM, Muhali via Discussion List for GNU Octave
Maintainers wrote:
> I had successfully compiled and used the octave interface for the caffe
> machine learning framework. The interface mainly consists of a file
> caffe_.oct, which I am still able to build without errors.
>
> But somehow after rebuilding today, from within octave the function is not
> found anymore:
>
> octave> exist("caffe_")
> ans = 3
> octave> caffe_("version")
> error: 'caffe_' undefined near line 1, column 1
>
> Since I am not a C++ expert I am totally lost. Any help is GREATLY
> appreciated.
>
> The correspoding caffe_.cpp file can be found here:
> https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/blob/master/matlab/%2Bcaffe/private/caffe_.cpp

That file looks like a MEX function, not an OCT-file, to me. Have you
tried compiling it with the mex() command instead of the
OCT-file-compiling command?

What's probably happening is that you're compiling it as an OCT-file,
but it doesn't actually export OCT-file structures (because it's
structured as a MEX file instead), so when Octave tries to load it up
and call it as an OCT-file function, it gets a linkage error (and
produces a not-very-helpful error message).

Cheers,
Andrew