Re: Email notifications from bug tracker

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Email notifications from bug tracker
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:31:08 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> There were massive problems on the info-gnu-emacs mailing list
> yesterday.

Mailman for GNU and FSF are mostly completely separate from Savannah
anything.  Savannah's web UI has been scripted to interact with the
mailman server lists.gnu.org to create mailing lists and to reset
mailing list passwords.  But that's about it.  This Savannah frontend
upgrade this weekend is completely independent of lists.gnu.org and
the main mail relay eggs.gnu.org and the other mailing lists.

Since I am speaking I will add more background.  The listhelper team
moderates for spam discards and can help with subscription and
unsubscription but does not have administrative permission on
lists.gnu.org nor eggs.gnu.org as that is reserved for FSF sysadmin.
It's a little hard for those not in the day to day operations to know
what listhelpers can do and not do.  Mostly we peek and see if we have
permissions or not.  If we do then we can do something.  If not then
we pass it along to FSF sysadmin.

> I wrote to mailman@gnu.org about that, but didn't yet receive any
> replies.

FSF sysadmin usually does not work on the weekend.  Especially if they
have been in a long hours push for other tasks.  There have been
several of those recently.  I imagine right now they are trying to
recharge themselves on the weekends.  But they do work normal working
hours Monday through Friday and so once they "return to the office",
virtually in this case, they will start working through RT tickets and
responding to problem report emails.

Bob