Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:09:31 -0800

> can one export, say, the Red channel in UINT format, or can these types
> of channels only be FLOAT or HALF? I ask because the Splutterfish EXR
> exporter for 3DSMax claims to be able to export RGBA as UINTs, although
> upon doing so neither my own nor the ExrDisplay program can find these
> channels in the file (they both just display solid black). Also, I tried
> to enable my program to export to RGBA as UINTS, and I got strange
> results. Does the UINT use 0-255 as the the black-white levels?

The UINT data type is not meant for storing RGBA data,
and the exrdisplay program that comes with the OpenEXR
libraries does not display UINT channels.  You should
probably convert the integers to HALF or FLOAT data.
The UINT type is for storing discrete data, such as
object identifiers.  This can be useful for interactive
renderers that output "deep frame buffers" so that an
image can be re-rendered quickly when an image parameter
changes.