Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?

From: Greg Ward
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:57:18 -0700

Meant to copy the group on this the first time...

From: Greg Ward <address@hidden>
Date: May 25, 2004 9:54:41 AM PDT
To: Matthias Biedermann <address@hidden>

Actually, Photosphere does read and write OpenEXR format, as I have announced on this list before. It also handles HDR, LogLuv and floating point TIFF images. No support yet for Pixar's new 24-bit/component subtype within EXR, as I am a bit behind and haven't linked with OpenEXR 1.2, but soon. Photosphere only runs under Mac OS X.

I do have a command-line utility for building high dynamic range images from multiple exposures, using the same algorithms that are in Photosphere. It's called hdrgen, and is also available from my website, below, and I have binaries for Mac OS X and Linux. It will write out to HDR, EXR, or LogLuv TIFF. I should write a converter between different high dynamic range formats -- I certainly have the code for it. The snag is that it's a big pain for me to compile under Linux right now, so I don't do it very often. (Compiling under Windows is virtually impossible -- I have neither access to a machine nor sufficient patience for Visual Studio.)

        http://www.anyhere.com/

-Greg

From: Matthias Biedermann <address@hidden>
Date: May 25, 2004 8:25:05 AM PDT

Hi Axel,

AFAIK there are only HDR-programs (HDRShop, Photosphere) for Windows and Mac, but they unfortunately do not directly provide means to read/write exr-files directly (yet). However, it's pretty easy to use a workaround: I save the images loaded/edited with HDRShop as raw (floating point) files - and for reading them I wrote my own simple command line converter (Linux).

But I'd be glad to hear about other, less cumbersome and inflexible approaches...;)

bye,
Matthias

p.s.: If you just want to have a large collection of EXR-images (for environment mapping usages), have a look at http://www.sachform.de - they offer their nice HDR-collections in EXR, too.