Re: [Openexr-devel] Colour space

From: Chris Cox
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Colour space
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:09:11 -0700

Yet neither RIMM nor ERIMM are linear (gamma 1.0) colorspaces. OpenEXR files are supposed to be gamma 1.0. So you can't apply those colorspaces as-is.

The problem with RIMM and ROMM, as well as with XYZ and most other systems (e.g. Rec 709 HDTV) is that the color primaries are specified in terms of CIE 1931 xy chromaticity coordinates. This is also true for
 the primaries in the OpenExr header.

That's not a problem - that's the standard, with good reason.

CIE 1931 xy chromaticity relies upon x_bar, y_bar, and z_bar spectral matching functions, which are known to have some errors in certain color regions (especially near cyan at 500nm, but also at other places in the spectrum).

Not much error according to the reasearch I've seen.
Yes, it could better account for women with a fourth primary sensor and color deficient viewers.

I have been inquiring of color scientists concerning a) how much of a problem are the errors in CIE 1931 XYZ, and b) how much benefit is there from going to more than three color primaries for the device-independent space.

a) not much
b) more than 3 primaries would present some mathematical difficulties (N->1->N mappings anybody?)

Chris