Re: [Openexr-devel] Re: [Openexr] KeyKode offsets

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Re: [Openexr] KeyKode offsets
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:18:23 +0100

Florian Kainz wrote:
>      A) DPX-style film edge codes, as listed in section 6.1 of SMPTE 268M,
>         "File Format for Digital Moving-Picture Exchange":

This gets my vote if you add a 'perfs per frame' indicator in some
way, (although scanning people will have to work out what DPX field we
could get the scanners to put it in ideally)

>      B) "Film feet edge numbers" as specified by SMPTE RP 195, "Use of the
>         Reference Mark in Manufacturer-Printed Latent Image Key Numbers for
>         Unambiguous Film Frame Identification".  This numbering scheme
>         covers 35mm and 65mm film with key numbers occuring every 64, 80
>         and 120 perforations, and with 3, 4, 8 and 15-perforation frames.
>         (If you are voting for this one, please explain to me how the
>         scheme works.  After reading RP 195, I still don't understand it.)

I see this as a way of displaying the KeyKodes, however it is missing
the film manufacturer ID code mappings which of course expand every
time a new stock comes out.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |