Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?

From: Yves Poissant
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 01:14:28 -0500

Sorry about my previous answer. It was too quick. I answered without actually testing.

The actual pixel value where the 50% pattern is of similar intensity is 174. So it gives me a gamma of 1.8.

I now remember that I once set the gamma to 2.2 for a work I had to do but after a while I found it way too dark for my taste and lowered it to 1.8. This is where I feel my visual perception of the regularity of a ramp is the most uniform. But my confortable level when I work on photographs is actually 1.3.

Yves Poissant
Hash Inc.

If you care, you can estimate the total gamma of your setup with a series
of test images.  Create an 8-bit image with the following pixel pattern:

    BBBBBBBBBBGGGGGGGGGG
    WWWWWWWWWWGGGGGGGGGG
    BBBBBBBBBBGGGGGGGGGG
    WWWWWWWWWWGGGGGGGGGG