RE: [Openexr-devel] working with "half float" textures in OpenGL

From: Simon Green
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] working with "half float" textures in OpenGL
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:59:13 -0800

Hey Drew,

Yes, Nan and Inf behaviour on NVidia hardware is unchanged, although the
spec leaves this undefined so your mileage on other hardware may vary.

ARB_texture_float is the new extension for float texture types, and
there are also replacements for NV_texture_rectangle and
ATI_pixel_format_float:
http://www.nvidia.com/dev_content/nvopenglspecs/GL_ARB_texture_float.txt
http://www.nvidia.com/dev_content/nvopenglspecs/GL_ARB_color_buffer_floa
t.txt
http://www.nvidia.com/dev_content/nvopenglspecs/GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
.txt

So pretty soon you will be able to do all this in a vendor-independent
way. One caveat is that ATI doesn't currently support filtering or
blending of half types, so you'll still need to detect this case.

-S.

cy_OpenGL_Extensions_SIG03.