Re: [Openexr-devel] Willing to help

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Willing to help
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:41:06 -0800

Luc-Eric Rousseau wrote:
so.. are there Python bindings to OpenEXR?

No, so far we don't have Python bindings.

Writing wrappers for most of Iex, Half, Imath and IlmImf would be
straightforward and easy to do.  Reading and writing the actual
pixels is where things become interesting.  You'd probably want
to have a Python image object with an arbitrary number of channels,
just as the OpenEXR file itself.  Pixel-by-pixel image processing
in Python is way too slow to be practical, so you would want to
have a set of useful image operators that are implemented in C++
and wrapped in Python.  What operations should be included, and
what should be omitted or left as an exercise to the reader?
I suspect that what users would really want is a Python-based
floating-point image processing package that happens to support
OpenEXR file I/O.

Florian