Re: [Openexr-devel] RE: latest flood of UCE

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] RE: latest flood of UCE
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:32:00 -0800

Anders Dahnielson <address@hidden> writes:

> The spam is probably coming from senders not subscribed to the
> mailing list, so changing the Mailman settings to only accept
> postings from subscribed addresses would stop most of it.

Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

I agree with Bob, there's not much that can be done about spam on the
server/mailing list side.  I would prefer not to make the mailing list
post-by-subscriber-only because a) spam bots can easily subscribe to
mailing lists anyway, b) it would make it inconvenient for legitimate
users of OpenEXR to ask questions on the lists without being
subscribed (I personally don't like mailing lists which require me to
be subscribed in order to ask a question, it's not very friendly), and
c) if I had to moderate such posts (in order to allow non-members to
post), now *I* have to deal with all the spam that hits the list, and
I don't have time for that; that's what my spam filter is for.

Looking at the archive for openexr-devel, we've only received 7 spams
on the list this month.  That's fewer than 1 per day, which is nothing
by today's spam "standards."

For those of you who are seeing spam from this list, please check out
a decent spam filter; I recommend http://spambayes.sf.net.  I use it
and I've never seen a single spam from any of the OpenEXR lists (nor
From anywhere else, for that matter).

If you feel very strongly that you should not have to run a spam
filter in order to subscribe to this list, please email me privately,
and if enough people object, I'll reconsider the policy.  However, I
posted the same offer on openexr-announce and nobody took me up on it,
so I suspect that for most people, this is just not an issue.