Re: [Openexr-devel] RE: UNICODE support in openexr file I/O

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] RE: UNICODE support in openexr file I/O
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:37:59 -0600

Santiago wrote:
No, UTF-8 is not at all enough.... I said I want to use Kanji, not karakana or hiragana.... That means I need to use one of the 16-bits "strange" signs.... Can't conver to UTF-8 because I will loose "bits"... Kanji CAN'T be translated to out latin alphabet, because each sign means an "object", are NOT letters, so I need to enter the 16/32bits unicode. And who says Kanji says cyrilic or other signs... YOu , because are almost english talkers, are not at all conscient of the difficulties saving/naming files. For a japanese, is weird to be forced to name a file autoexec.bat and not $%!$"&!W%343.$!&... So no, UTF8 is not enough, nust be UTF16 or better to use one of the universal signs.

Any UTF-16 string can be encoded as UTF-8. Obviously, you would convert your UTF-16 strings to and from UTF-8 when working with the OpenEXR library.

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?