Re: [Openexr-devel] 64 bit libHalf - R_X86_64_32S _eLut and -fPIC questi

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 64 bit libHalf - R_X86_64_32S _eLut and -fPIC question
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:08:13 -0500

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Paul Miller wrote:

Since fPIC is apparently *required* on x64 Linux, I was wondering why the configure script didn't automatically enable it for me. Is that a bug or a feature?

Normally PIC is used in shared libraries, and not in archive (.a) files. The only exception that I have heard of is AIX, which seems to use .a files as shared libraries.

Perhaps you need to use --enable-shared to build shared libraries and use the shared libraries?

I didn't want to use shared libs because then I'd have a dependency problem and have to deal with -rpath and such. With all of my (non-system) dependencies built statically, I can basically plop my app (and its plugins) anywhere and it'll work without setting env vars, which is much nicer (I think).

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?