Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:25:58 -0700

Florian Kainz wrote:
One problem that needs to be solved is how the mapping between floating-point numbers and integers gets encoded.

How does it work for the currently-supported int32? I'd be happy with something analogous, only fewer bits.

I am not sure that "256 levels are more than enough" for masks.

Of course there are many texture use cases that must be 16 bit or float. Nevertheless, a great many 8-bit files pop up in our productions, with no ill effect, and I'd like to take advantage of the file size, I/O, memory, and performance without forcing everything to more precision that is needed.

You could read each tile into a temporary buffer and convert the pixels
to 8 bits during the transfer from the buffer to the tile cache.  (Yes, I
know it's not the most efficient method ever, but you can do it without
waiting for an 8-bit EXR data type.)

Neat idea! If fp16 files that only use ~256 values really do compress especially well, then I could store as fp16 and have a special header tag that means "it's ok to keep this internally as 8 bits."

That's a potentially great solution. Do you have a specific suggestion for name and semantics of header attributes that would indicate that the exr file has "extra" precision and range that could be dropped? May as well choose a common convention, in case others also want a solution like this.

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz
address@hidden