[Openexr-devel] R6034 with OpenEXR and Visual Studio 2008

From: Thomas Binder
Subject: [Openexr-devel] R6034 with OpenEXR and Visual Studio 2008
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:24:40 +0200

Hi,

there are one or two threads around on this topic, they were of no
help to me so far. Here is a short description of my problem:

Setup:

- I want/must use OpenEXR as dll with my own Windows XP 32 bit C++ application
- I want/must use Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition (VC9), SP1 is installed
- I took the ilmbase 1.0.1, openexr 1.6.1 source code and converted
the projects via the Visual Studio conversion wizardry
- Was able to eliminate all undefined symbols, everything compiles and
links fine.

Problem:

Consistent runtime error R6034 when loading OpenEXR dlls. Spelled out
R6034 means that an application or dll has attempted to load the MSVC
runtime without using a manifest.

Indeed, my main application finds the runtime in
C:\windows\winsxs\...., which is good, while the openexr dlls are
looking in $PATH only. If I remove all MSVC*90.DLL from the path, the
openexr dlls will not load.

Remarks:

I used mt.exe (manifest tool, unrelated to magnetic tape) to put the
generated manifests into the dlls. Running mt works fine, and the XML
is indeed incorporated into the dll. However, this does not change
anything. Any dll is created via the createDLL linker wrapper, which I
am currently looking at.

Your input on this issue is really appreciated. The solution may be
simple - my experience with things like this is limited.

Thanks,
Tom